Mexico City
Blog For Us

About this blog

Local recommendations, announcements and updates for Mexico City dwellers - provided to you by the The AngloINFO Mexico City Blog Team. More Info

Blog For Us

Browse by date

February 2017
« Dec   Mar »

CDMX Information Blog

Mexican Governmental Departments – What You Need To Know

February 21, 2017

The Angloinfo blog team has put together a list of governmental departments that may be useful for foreigners in Mexico City.  

As a foreigner living in Mexico City, it’s very likely you’ll need to find your way through the mass of departmental agencies that you may need, from the migration office to the social security system. The government is divided into finite categories, such as Transport, Public Education, and Social Security, many of which are then divided into their relevant sub-categories. We hope that the list below helps you to identify some of the acronyms and navigate the system to get the result you’re looking for!


Probably the first pit stop for most foreigners seeking to exchange their visas for a temporary residence card, the Institute of Migration is responsible for administering current immigration laws and guiding foreigners from around the world who wish to visit, live or settle in Mexico. Read more about the immigration process. 


The Secretariat of Mobility in Mexico City is responsible for handing out driving licenses (as long as you have residency, a proof of address, and the modest fee). Their job is also to regulate the city’s taxis and group transport, such as microbuses. Price-hikes in public transport will also come from SEMOVI. Read more about driving licenses in Mexico City. 


Any to do with payments to the government, such as paying a traffic violation or ‘multa’, will be done through the Secretariat of Finance. You can also check that payments to do with any other department have gone through here, by typing in your ‘linea de captura’. Visit the SEFIN website. 


The Tax Administration Service is responsible for ensuring that any income received in Mexico has tax (ISR) paid on it. Most foreigners working in Mexico City will be given an RFC by SAT, which is then used to deduct tax from your income. Read more on this process. 


Founded to protect consumers, PROFECO ensures that companies are providing the right information and service to its users. Read more about it and your rights as a consumer in our previous blog post. 


The Secretariat of Foreign Affairs will need to know if you’re planning on buying property in Mexico to provide you with a permit. Read more about this in our guide. 


The Social Security Health Institute in Mexico – if you’re paying taxes then you should be signed up to IMSS with your employer. It’s up to you whether you use it or not, so here’s a guide. 


Likewise as with IMSS, if you’re paying taxes on your income, you’re probably paying 5% into this fund with the Institute of the National Housing Fund for Workers, which allows you to buy property with low loan rates. Visit the INFONAVIT website. 

All images are reproduced from the governmental sites. 

Leave a comment on this blog post in our discussion forum

by The Angloinfo Mexico City Blog Team. Find out more about The Angloinfo Mexico City Blog Team here.